I’ve been suffered digestive and burg problems for more than a month. In the previous encounter, I managed to “solve” the health issues by taking pro-biotic etc, but not this time.
I tried the digestive enzymes ……….although it didn’t cure the problems but it did improve my burg condition and relieve some heart burn (according to doctor, this is most probably due to hyperacidity).
According to some experienced friends, I should start with fruits that not so easy to “fail”, i.e. the pineapples. But I’m having a dilemma ………..I remember the last time I “dissect” a pineapples, I have to turn the fruit to pineapples jam, coz the whole fruit just can’t present as fresh cut fruit. So this will be a big challenge for me to deal with it.
To safeguard myself, I’m also going to make the green apple enzyme.
The recipe for the Pineapple Enzymes:
The recipe for the Green Apple Enzyme:
- 2 green apples
- Half Lemon
- Half pack of Brown Candy
The following are the steps of making the fruit enzymes:
- Clean all the fruits, utensils, glass containers and let it drip dry.
- Peel all the fruits and cut into small pieces.
- Arrange 1st layer of the cut fruits (pineapples or green apple) into the glass container
- Follow by another layer of brown candy.
- Repeat step 3 to 4 till the content is around 60% of the container.
- Arrange layers of lemon.
- Cover the last layer with brown candy.
- The ingredients should not more than 80% of the container. (Fermentations process will release a lot of gases and may overflow if the contents are too full)
- Close the container tightly and leave it in dry and cool place.
- “Rock and Roll” the container daily. Ensure all the fruits are immerse in the liquid to prevent mold / fungus growth. If required, add more brown candy
- After 3-4 days, can open the cover to release the gases. (Note: should open and close immediately)
- If observe for any mold / fungus growth (black dot), remove the affected fruits immediately and add more brown candy (high sugar content / low water content can help to preserve the fruits)
- The enzyme should be ready to be consumed in 2-3 weeks.
- Separate the fruit from liquid and transfer the enzyme into new clean glass bottle.
- The enzyme shall be kept in the refrigerator to preserve it better (cool temperature will slow down the fermentation process that will turn the enzyme into alcohol).
Left – Green Apple; Center – Green Apple & Pineapples (Candy at top layer only); Right – Pineapples
Can’t wait to harvest it in 3 weeks time!!!
Update on 25/06/08
Both taste good. I preferred the pineapples one, its look lighter in colour and sweeter (the 2 bottles at the right). It’s produced around 500ml from the pineapples jug.
The green apple & pineapples enzyme (at far left) is darker in colour and produce less enzyme (around 200ml).
I mixed 2 table spoons of fruit enzyme with 250ml cool water. Really refreshing.
Related fruit enzyme making write-up